So your portfolio website sucks.
You or someone you hired built a portfolio website to showcase your cumbersome genius. The work on there is spectacular, and it should be the envy of the entire web community. Your creative portfolio website was designed to bring in new clients, get you picked up on design blogs, win the respect of your peers, prove to your ex-boss that you do have what it takes afterall, and impress your mom. And yet your design portfolio still sucks. Today we’re going to tell you how to quickly build a stunning portfolio website, without paying thousands to a web designer or web developers.
We made mistakes. Forget the small thumbnail images – no one likes them. And half the world cannot view Flash. You should already know that building a website using the site builder on your Godaddy, Justhost or Fatcow hosting account will not give you gorgeous or awesome website. It’s time to move on.
Hot Web Design Trend
You should be thinking of capturing the visitor with content and creating something that is more than just clicks; connecting to the reader, giving them a visual storytelling adventure of your creative work. Try one of the Parallax themes below. One of the big web design trend of the moment is parallax scrolling, which involves the background moving at a slower rate to the foreground, creating a 3D effect as you scroll down the page. Parallax effect is a great tool if it serves the user experience and is perfect for websites such as for web designers, photographers, architects, artists, graphic designers, 3D/CAD modellers, animators, engineers, videographers, illustrators and logo designers.
You need to reinforce portfolio website credibility with innovative interactive viewing. Parallax effects can sometimes be overwhelming if overused, but when used sparingly, Parallax effects can provide a nice, subtle element of depth. So what is the quickest way to create an awesome portfolio website without breaking the bank? Try one of these amazing WordPress templates.
Best WordPress Themes for Making a Stunning Portfolio Website
- Jarvis – the perfect one page parallax template for corporate, agency, nonprofit, freelancer or general business. 12 Home page variations, with background video support. Also includes Mailchimp subscription support for your newsletter, email marketing and mailing list needs. Ultra-responsive design, with 6 navigation styles, customizable backgrounds (colors, images or patterns), Font Awesome icons and many more super-awesome features to keep you busy & satisfied with your website.
- 907 – a great one page Parallax WP responsive theme with tons of options and features. Unlimited color and background options.
- Scroller – a clean, minimalistic and elegant WordPress theme with fully responsive layout. Theme is suited for all photographers, creative, business and portfolio websites. Theme includes lots of advanced features like full-screen sliders, Parallax effects, and scroll – One Page Homepage.
- Mineral – a modern, clean and fully responsive WordPress theme. The theme implements parallax effects in different elements and sections, such as; content slider background image, full-width sections background images, services boxes animations, testimonials animations.
Want to see more portfolio WordPress templates? Feel free to click here for other WordPress portfolio themes.
What Else Should You Consider?
Do you believe that the general shift toward mobile makes it more important than ever to ensure customers view your content on whichever device they are using? You should try a Responsive WordPress theme (RWD). RWD provides a customized viewing experience for different browser platforms, i.e making sure your website does not suck when viewed on other devices especially on mobile phones and tablets.
Where to Go From Here?
To summarize, do these steps to start your stunning online creative portfolio website:
- Buy a hosting account if you do not already have one (about $10/month)
- Buy and download a gorgeous theme of your choice from above (less than $60, one time)
- Install WordPress on your hosting account (use QuickInstall if using Hostgator as hosting)
- Upload the theme to your WordPress site
- Configure your site and upload your design, photos, videos, work, etc.
Now that you have been revealed with the most cost-effective option to make a good-looking website, what hosting do you use for this beautiful portfolio site of yours? Our recommendation is Hostgator for hosting your WordPress site(s). You can try Hostgator for $0.01 only and use the coupon code LINUXHOSTING. You can also save 25% from your first bill using coupon code SERVERHOSTING.
The steps may sound complicated but it is really straightforward. You should be able to show off your online portfolio in about 4 hours. If by any chance you have any query or problem with setting up your site, feel free contact your friendly hosting support to give you a helping hand.
You are a great designer/photographer. Let them feast on your talent.